The Harland diaspora
Mary Emma Lee (Mary) Statham  nee Harland
b. 12 February 1918 Staten Island New York
m. 22 February 1940 New York
d.  21 June 2003 Covina Ca.

Mary Emma Lee Harland was Lily and Tom’s elder daughter, and was born in Staten Island. She was educated in the New York City system at both elementary and high school levels. She also studied piano at the Wilderman Institute.


Mary’s first job was with the New York Trust Company. Another employee there was Arthur Statham. They were married on 24 February 1940, just after her 22nd birthday. The wedding was held in St. Ann’s Episcopal Church in historic Richmond Town on Staten Island. After her marriage Mary joined the investment company Fiduciary Council, and later she transferred to he United States Public Health Service.


In 1946 Mary and Arthur moved out west to southern California where they lived for the rest of their lives. Mary worked for several years in a real estate company; and when that work was ended she turned to the voluntary sector.  In addition to the American Red Cross and Meals on Wheels she was active for many years in the Inter-Community Hospital Auxiliary; most of all, she was a member of the Board of Hope House – an institution for multi-handicapped children. She gave many years of service to a thrift shop that benefited that institution.


Mary was very active in Holy Trinity Episcopal Church Covina, where she served as Treasurer and as a member of the investment council. She played golf, gardened, travelled extensively, and did beautiful needlepoint.  Appropriate pieces of her work are prominent on the altar of the church she attended for well over 50 years. Mary lived a very active social life with frequent entertaining in their home, which was a setting for her excellent taste. She was widowed in her 70th year. During the last five years of her life she endured a debilitating neurological condition of her left leg, which necessitated the use of a walking frame. Mary died of acute renal failure at her own home in Covina California on 29 June 2003 aged 85.